Andy Dingley

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:02:13 GMT, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Oh please. You're stretching on this one Andy. Is there any cut on a table
saw that the kickback police don't nail as a kickback hazard? That is a
perfectly reasonable cut to make on a table saw.

It's a borderline cut. You'd do it, I'd probably do it. It's also a
poor photo angle and the real situation might have been much better or
much worse than we know.

These are kids though. _Not_ the best and most skilled workers. Don't
make it any harder for them.

There's also the far more important point that this isn't a workshop,
it's an instructional workshop. You don't just do what's needed, you
do what you _ought_ to do, for any forseeable variation on that
operation. You're not trying to make stuff here, you're primarily
trying to teach good techniques andd good habits for the future. I
often use my saw (cabinet or bandsaw) without earmuffs, because
they're both quiet machines. But if there are kids around I _always_
wear them, because as a general rule "cabinet saws are noisy and you
wear earmuffs".

A workshop like this has crosscut sleds to hand, and you use them
whenever you _can_, not whenever you _must_.

I'd really be concerned if there was a push stick in the picture.

So would I. But I said push _board_, not push stick. A piece of scrap
board of appropriate width and thinner than the workpiece. For a
single drum sander you really do need one, and even for a machine like
a thickness planer it's a good idea to have one handy, in case the
powered feed roller stalls or slips. These things do happen from time
to time, and prior preparation removes the slightest incentive to
stick your fingers somewhere unholy.

--
Smert' spamionam