Alan

I have just obtained an old microwave (700Watt and only operates on
full power, will take a 380mm diameter object) and will be trying it
over the coming weeks.

The advice I have is:
Place a cup of water inside the microwave along with the item
(protects the magnetron - I believe).
Don't try to use anything thicker than 25mm as reports from an
experienced user suggest it isn't suitable.
Rough turn bowls to a uniform thickness (less than 25mm).
Moisten any knots or other sources which may crack during drying with
a damp cloth.
If you start to see fine checking (cracks) appearing on the surface,
STOP as this indicates the wood is now getting too dry.
If the wood turns black, you missed seeing the checking and the wood
is charring! (Hope that isn't the household microwave you are using)
You can use a weighing technique as follows:
Weigh the item.
Microwave, remove, cool and weigh.
microwave again, cool and weigh.
Repeat until item seems to stop losing weight (remember to stop if you
see fine checking as you are only trying to get down to an equilibrium
moisture content, NOT total dryness.

Have fun. This seems to be the ideal way of getting cheap timber AND
being able to complete the project the same day!
Alan

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:25:31 GMT, "res055a5" wrote:

i just received a bunch of maple and cherry that eventually plan on turning.
I'm experimenting in the meantime on coating the ends with anchor seal and
then microwaving a piece or two. i'm also trying out my kitchen oven on
another
piece.
anyone ever tried this before? results?
rich