willshak

On 12/21/2004 10:29 AM US(ET), SQLit took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

"Scot" wrote in message

I have a utility room that I am finishing. One of the last pieces is what
type of ceiling to install. I originally was going to put in a drop
ceiling, but am now considering throwing up some 1x3s and attaching

ceiling

tile. My reasons are that it will be an easier install, cheaper and will
probably look nicer. My hesitation on this is that it would be nice to

have

the suspended ceiling in this room to easily be able to get at where the
electrical runs from the circuit box are, as the main circuit box is in

this

rooom and all the circuits in the house run from this room.

What are people's feelings towards having this easily accessible via a
suspended ceiling as opposed to having to remove some pieces of

"permanent"

ceiling tile if there were to be a problem/upgrade needed electrically?

Thanks,

Scott

What does your local fire code require? Where I live if the utility room is
conditioned by mechanical means it might need a drywall ceiling to meet our
fire code. If the room was a direct access to the main attic then for sure
it would need a fire rated ceiling, where I live.

On the other side of my basement mentioned in a previous message, the
builder installed a sheetrock ceiling above the baseboard hot water
boiler. The exhaust pipe became triple walled before penetrating this
sheetrock, and remained triple walled until it terminated above the
roof. He said it was code (NY). It passed inspection.

--
Bill