Roger

Some of my neighbors have seen prowlers around our
residential area and many of us decided to leave our front door outside
lights on all night. The problem is that we invariably forget to turn it
off in the morning and so a couple of bulbs are burning needlessly for
several hours most days.

Agree with poster who suggests screw-in sun sensor that fits between bulb
and socket. Another, more economic solution vs having light on all night, is
a motion sensor head (kit) that detects motion and lights up the existing
porch light, which IMHO is more of a deterrent than the "on all night "
solution. If the kit is hard to find, just replace light with a single or
double spotlight with integral motion switch.