George

"mac davis" wrote in message
Use you zoom (optical, not digital, please)
You'll get better depth of field and more even lighting effects if you
back off the subject a bit and then zoom it...
I had 1 client that hated the pictures of his demo model planes, as
they all looked like they were lopsided and had one wing that was much
larger than the other..
We took the shots from across the room with a big zoom and the
perspective/depth of field was right on..

Yes and no. Depth of field is inversely proportional to the focal length of
the lens, but proportional to the distance. Theoretically, zooming from a
distance, at the same f stop should be a wash.

Shortening of perspective with longer focal lengths is yet another matter.
There, the longer focal length is your friend, especially when photographing
chubby aunt Maude, or for those pictures where folks are sitting. You can
keep the elephant knees (or larger wings) in better proportion to the face
with longer focal lengths.

Interesting example of shortening is the center field camera at baseball
games that makes the pitcher look closer than the batter, because our eye
interprets smaller as more distant.