James Sweet

"Ignoramus29457" wrote in message
I am confused about something. Even if a power plant requires external
power to start (say, fuel pumps should be operating for some time
before water heats up and boils), it would require a lot less power
than it produces. Probably many many times less. If so, then a power
plant can buy a generator of adequate size, say 1000 kW. It should
cost a relatively minuscule amount compared to the cost of the power
plant itself.

This is completely analogous to having an electric starter on an
engine. A small, cheap piece that can get stuff moving before the main
power plant starts up in a self sustained mode.

So, just what is the problem?Have them buy adequate generators and
that's all.

Any clarification will be appreciated.

They certainly could, however I think the issue is simply not wanting to
devote the money and space to a standby generator that might never be used
in the life of the plant. Not to mention maintenance of it, if a diesel
backup generator sits doing nothing for 25 years chances are it'll do
nothing right when it's needed most. I would still think it a good idea to
have one around, but I can see the resons for not having it.