SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
In two rooms, there appears to be raised stripe between the sheets of
drywall on the ceiling. I am not aware of water damage or leaks that
may have caused this (ranch house, no rooms above). This looks to be
exactly the width of the drywall tape used.

I am not planning to re-drywall ceilings, but is there a nice way of
fixing this. Should I try to smooth it out by mudding around the
stripe?

C_kubie

Ceilings are tough, at least for me. The way I have seen tape installed is
to have a bed of mud then push the tape into it. So far so good. Then you
have to put several light layers of mud over that with gradually larger
blades finishing off with about 14-16". This is exactly where I have
problems. I just finished my patio ceiling. 8' X10'. Just 4 seams to do. I
finished off by using drywall mud like pancake batter with a 1 inch nap
roller. Literally took a bath in it. After sanding and one coat of paint it
looks pretty good.

Drywall taping is all in the wrist. Something like the jitter bug, something
that has just plum eluded me. Lots of good light is best for ceilings