Lee Michaels

"TWS" wrote

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:49:56 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

How do I keep dust out of a TV and DVD I plan to install in my shop? I'm
sure someone has been there before...

Thanks in advance.

Call me a nervous nelly but I would *never* run a TV in a wood shop.

The high voltage in a TV will be a magnet for every dust particle,
whether the TV is running or not. Dust will build up and eventually
the high voltage will break down and the arc could cause a very nasty
fire. As you can see, other posters have done it, but I wouldn't risk
it.

Over twentyyears ago I attended an electronics school that taught among
other things, television repair. We heard every kind of horror story
associated with TV's. And these from the folks who worked on them. Fires,
electrocutions and general stupidity happens all the time with these thngs.
As my instructor pointed out, any movement towards lower voltage devices
saves lives.

Among the stories;

A customer brings in a TV that is a charred mess inside. They ask what
happens. Customer says that it was dusty inside. So he brings it out to the
back yard and cleans it out with a water hose. Plugs it in and explodes. He
is lucky that a house fire or worse did not happen.

Very common, folks unplug TV and touch picture tube in back. This
discharges a very large electrical charge and kills them.

Dust is a TV killer. A lot of TV's have been sent to an early grave from
smokers.