Roger Shoaf

"Bruno" wrote in message
Thanks to all who replied to the original post.

The part is a tool holder for my lathe, hence the need to clamp and
unclamp it repeatedly. There was a lot of milling, drilling and
tapping that went into the pieces before messing them up, so salvaging
them was desirable.

I had access to a college shop during the fall and that's where I did
the milling work. When I saw the way this the first one cut, the shop
teacher said it should still work fine, but I should have trusted my
own instincts and stopped there. Instead, I messed up a bunch of them.
Later, when I slit the first one with a hacksaw, I found that the
.025" slit was not quite enough to tighten it to the tool post.

So there you go, just hack saw a little bit more. In the alternative, use a
Dremel with an abrasive wheel. With a wide enough slot, you can wrap a
piece of wet and dry sand paper around your shaft rough side out and lap off
the tooling marks inside the clamp.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.