Randal O'Brian

If you must lap something, forget about the bore and lap the 10 degree
angle. A smoothly bored finish a thou or so over on the bore is fine.
There is a standard size. See http://www.loganact.com/tips/collet.htm
An accurate 10 degree angle with a smooth finish will help your collets
achieve maximum accuracy and grip.

Randy

"jim n judy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am making a 5C collet chuck. I plan to bore the hole and finish by
lapping then bore the 10 degree angle. My question is should I obtain a
set of collets first and lap to size or is size pretty much standard
between brands. If I pick up a set of collets at a swap meet what
should I look for? Other than obvious nicks and dings is there other
misuse that I would look for?

Also is a full set in 1/64 increments recommended or is this overkill?
Thanks