Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ian Middleton wrote:
One problem to watch when attaching switches and sockets onto drylined
walls is if there is not enough support behind the switch/socket
(either back box or just polyfilla/plaster) the drylining/plasterboard
is supceptable to being broken/cracking after a while.

Yes. Because I dislike dryline boxes, I always screw small wood battens to
the insides of the drylining and then fix ordinary metal boxes to this.
This might be difficult with dot and dab, but fine with a stud wall.
Since re-decoration is usually needed anyway, making good the screw holes
isn't much extra work. Just be sure to use brass screws as ordinary ones
will pop the filler after a while.

However, in the OP's case I'd say he'd not have problems if he makes sure
the new boxes are sunk just enough to get a decent amount of grip by the
socket on the board.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.