Jeff Sellers

unlurk

look at this www.coolchem.com

relurk

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:09:24 -0800, Grant Erwin wrote:

I'm finally getting back around to fixing up my little die filer. Its
chuck is pretty munged after years of having files jammed into it, and
it
doesn't work right anymore (i.e. doesn't hold the file parallel with the
shaft). I figure I'll mill away the "fixed jaw" and make a hardened shim
and glue it on. There will be little stress on the glue joint as it will
be held in compression, but there will be some. I'll be gluing a ground
surface to a milled one. Would cyanoacrylate (superglue) be the right
stuff to use?

Seems to me that silver soldering and quenching the shim would work
better. Either that of build up the worn jaw with a hardfacing rod and
grind down to finish shape.

Nope, don't want to monkey with the original paint. - GWE