Ian Middleton

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Dave.

How would you suggest fixing the backboxes ontop of the old? I want the
flush fitting ones not the ones with a lip.

One problem to watch when attaching switches and sockets onto drylined walls
is if there is not enough support behind the switch/socket (either back box
or just polyfilla/plaster) the drylining/plasterboard is supceptable to
being broken/cracking after a while. I helped dryline a cottage and had the
same problem as you. Some backboxes were put back packed out with offcuts of
plasterboard behind to raise them forward, some where replaced with deeper
backboxes, some with plastic drylinig backboxes but some back boxes where
just left and longer screws used. The ones with the longer screws all
cracked and depressed in the drylining eventually (3-5 years), probably the
plasterboard giving a bit, switch coming loose, somebody tightening screws,
plasterboard gives a bit more, switch coming loose, somebody tightening
screws etc until the switch kind of ends up in a little depression of
cracked plaster/dryling.