James Sweet

"Thomas" wrote in message
Can anybody help me with this problem?

I have someone living in my apartment while I am away. He has rung me
up to say that in the last ten months THREE computers have "died" on him
due to being connected to a socket in my apartment. (I think he's
trying to make me feel guilty so that I will compensate him somehow.)

The only feasible thing that could be wrong with your wiring and cause this
(assuming north america, 120-0-120v service) is if there's a loose neutral
connection in the service panel causing an imballance between the voltages
on each side of the floating neutral. Measure the voltage at the wall
socket, if it's higher than 125v then something is wrong, otherwise the guy
is probably getting cheap junk and trying to blame you.