George E. Cawthon

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:
On 12/20/2004 2:45 PM Bubba wrote:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:30:12 -0600, (m Ransley)
wrote:

Is it a Tempstar, Keeprite, Heil, ICP furnace?
How about a model and serial number?
Bubba

Oh, I get it: making me /work/ for my free advice! Well, I can play that
game as well as anyone.

The furnace is labeled "Goodman Manufacturing Co," model GMP100-4 (rev B)

Mounted on the frontside, above the burners, is what appears to be a
squirrel-cage blower about 8'' across in an enclosure. The input side
faces into the furnace. This blower exits into a 5'' diameter round
metal (galvanized steel?) vent pipe that vanishes up into the ceiling of
the furnace closet.

When I turn on the heat, the sequence of events is:

WHIRRRRR (the turbine sound, comes from the squirrel-cage blower)
pause for 30 seconds
Tik-tik-tik (piezo starter)
"Whump" (gas ignites)
pause another minute or so
Vwoooooom (main furnace blower pumping air into the heating ducts)

After a short bit of time, the small 5'' duct gets hot. What do I have
here -- a furnace with a forced-air burner chamber exhaust? Never had
such a thing before.

Oh -- I forgot. In the morning, shortly following the "WHIRRRR" of the
small blower, you can hear the dead awakening and cursing the noise.

Yep, it is the inducer fan, induces a flow of air through
the burn chamber and up the chimney. Somebody did a very
poor seal around that fan in my furnace and it caused the
furnace to not operate correctly. (A safety feature is a
pressure switch that needs a negative pressure to operate
and maintain the burn). Just hope you never have to replace
the little, noisy SOB. They will cost you upwards of $300.
Glad I don't have a high efficiency water heater too.
Sounds like you have an exceptionally noise furnace. The
burner on mine makes way more noise than the inducer fan or
the distribution fan. It is probably normal for your
furnace. A few kinks (of the sound trapping kind)in your
air system might be able to reduce noise distribution from
your furnace.