Jerry G.

This dude is trying to soak you up for a few computers, or at least one new
one!

This guy may be buying cheap used computers, or whatever else, and who
knows...

If the neutral and hot are reversed, the load should work normally, but
would not comply to the electrical code. The best verification to be legal
is to have a certified electrician come in to the place, and test his wall
outlets to where he connects the computers, and have him give you a written
letter that the power to those outlets comply to the electrical standards of
your area, and comply to all the local bylaws for performance and safety.

This will cost you the cost for the electrician and his time. But, this will
protect you in case the fellow decides to take you to court, and also try to
make a claim from your insurance company to pay him. In the end without
being protected, you leave yourself opened. Also, in the future, you will
have proof that electrical in the place is safe, and is at no risk for the
insurance company.

The very next step I would do, is to find a way to get rid of this tenant as
quickly as possible. He is not worth the aggravation and stress.

As for power surges, this would be from the electric supply company. If you
read their contract, they are not responsible, unless under particular
circumstances.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Thomas" wrote in message
Can anybody help me with this problem?

I have someone living in my apartment while I am away. He has rung me
up to say that in the last ten months THREE computers have "died" on him
due to being connected to a socket in my apartment. (I think he's
trying to make me feel guilty so that I will compensate him somehow.)

He says that on each occasion his computers have been hit by a power
surge. He says that on the first two occasions he wasn't in when the
surges hit, but that on returning home he found the computers dead. He
says that for the third computer he fitted a surge-protector between the
socket and his computer, but that last week he was at home when his
printer started "smoking". He says this last power surge must have been
really bad.

Today I rang my electricity network provider and they assured me that
there have been NO major surges in my area in the last year, and that if
there had been then the whole apartment would have been knocked out, the
fuses would have blown in the fuseboard, and other equipment and lights
would have been damaged too.

In a couple of days' time I am going to visit the apartment with a
socket-tester - it's a small plug which shows if the socket is wired
correctly. The only thing I can think of which might have caused the
death of three computers (if, in fact, they DID really die) is that the
"live" and the "neutral" wires to the socket (from the fuseboard) might
have been attached to the socket the wrong way round.

If this is the case, I know this wouldn't injure a lightbulb, but my
question is: would this injure a computer? A friend tells me that
current is "alternating" and that it therefore shouldn't matter whether
the live and neural wires to the socket are reversed. But does this
situation ring any bells with anyone?

Or is the guy in my apartment either just someone who has bought three
faulty computers in a row or someone who is just trying to take me for a
ride?

Thanks.

Nell.