rck

"effi" wrote in message
"JC" wrote in message
nk.net...
I'm looking for a basic, occasional use heater for my garage. The garage
is single car, 410 square feet, uninsulated. Use of the heater for short
term emergency (power outage) indoor heating would be a plus.

What are people's experiences with kerosene vs propane for cost,
effectiveness, safety, cost, etc.? What BTU rating has worked well for
people in similar situations?

Thanks in advance.

supposedly catalytic propane heaters are safe in a way that (noncatalytic)
propane heaters and kerosene heaters are not

byproducts from burning fuel in propane heaters or kerosene heaters can
kill humans in high enough concentrations, so venting is part of those
systems

catalytic propane heaters supposedly don't produce those byproducts and
are thus supposedly safe indoors for humans provided they are fed plenty
of fresh oxygen from outside (otherwise humans suffocate) and are
attended,,,,check with manufacturers for specific application questions

some rv heaters sold are catalytic propane types

you didn't mention if your car or other flammable stuff will be stored in
yoru garage,,,,,,,,,,the advisability of using *any* kind of heater in an
enclosed garage with a car or other potentially explosive storage
containers etc. is best left to experts, check with them too

Unvented propane heaters of today are a lot different than the unsafe ones
of days goneby. Today, they have an oxygen sensor which will shut the heater
down if oxygen falls below a safe level. They are approved in all but six
states for use in residential heating when not used in a bedroom. They are
very common here in Tennessee and have a good safety record. Add a CO
detector and provide a fresh air intake of one sq in per 1000 BTU.
Disclaimer: I'm not a professional heating technician, I'm reading my
manual.

Bob