Kelley Mascher

Knurl the bore. This will make the effective ID smaller. Ideally the
knurl will make the ID smaller than you need and you can hone it out
to the desired size. You might find that this clamps better than a
smooth bore as well.

Of course I don't know where you will find an ID knurling tool that
size.

Cheers,

Kelley

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:31:05 GMT, Bruno wrote:

I was trying to put a 1.125" hole through a piece of steel that's 1.5"
x 2.5" x 1". I was using a mill and the only 1 1/8" cutter that the
shop I was in had. It made a really lousy rough cut that's also about
.012" oversized. This piece needs to be split to clamp down tight on a
1 1/8" post.

Anyone have a suggestion for how to fix it up?

I've never used JB Weld... would it work to line the hole with that
and then bore it to 1 1/8"? I've made a jig so I could put the piece
on the faceplate of the lathe to bore it there; I may not have access
to a mill for quite a while now, so a lathe approach is best.

I was also thinking about a sleeve, but I'm not sure if there is
enough room to bore it out to fit a sleeve in there. If I did, what
size OD on the sleeve would work out? Or should I say, how thin could
the sleeve wall be?

Last resort is to smooth the hole out as well as possible and then
slit it much wider than I had planned, but that's not the best way.

Thanks.
-Bruno