Jon Elson

Boris Beizer wrote:

"Håken Hveem" wrote in message

What is a kaupfmann starter?

It is a compressed gas starter. A shell .. looks like a shotgun shell.. is
fired which provides the compressed gas that is used to turn the engine
over. It was, I believe, used as an emergency starting method for older
radial engines. I only know that it is called a "Coffman Starter" from the
original Flight of the Phoenix movie, and from the book by Elleston Trevor.
I had the spelling wrong. Not a "Kaufman" or "Kaupfmann" starter, but a
"Coffman Starter."

Boris

I think the spelling is Kaufmann, and it was also available as an
emergency starting
technique on the F-4. There were big warnings all over the place where
the cartridge
went to never store the cartridges in the aircraft. I think this
version of the thing looked
more like a 70 mm shell than a shotgun shell.

Jon