John

"Stephen Jones" wrote in message
om...
I have a gas fire in a fire place but need to know what would be the
best type of chimney pot to use to allow the fumes to be drawn up the
chimney (no liner). The house is a 1950s chalet bungalow and it it has
square chimney with a concrete slab on top with a approx 6" hole in
it,
also the bricks on two sides below the slab are removed. When we have
bad
storms water is coming down the chimney and I wondered if there is
anything
we can add to stop this. Would it be simpler to have a liner and pot
fitted and the holes in the chimney sealed, this is what next doors
appear to have done

Thanks
____________________
|___________________| Slab
|____| |_____|
|____| |_____|
|____|________|_____|
|__|____|____|______|

If there is a hole "through the slab" I can't see why it should also have
the side holes. Are you sure about the hole through being present? A
complete top slab with holes round all four sides used to be a common sight
on some buildings particularly old Army sites. It stopped rain (and bombs)
going straight down. In your circumstances I would remove the slab and
modify the brickwork such that the flue ran straight upwards, then fit a
chimney pot or flue terminal. A smoke test of the flue before starting would
be a good idea as it may have leaks in the structure so require lining
anyway.