Robert Swinney

Whoa! What's that you say, "Lotsa Gas"? No I believe you got the name
right the first time.

Bob Swinney

"Boris Beizer" wrote in message
news

"Håken Hveem" wrote in message
What is a kaupfmann starter?

It is a compressed gas starter. A shell .. looks like a shotgun shell..
is
fired which provides the compressed gas that is used to turn the engine
over. It was, I believe, used as an emergency starting method for older
radial engines. I only know that it is called a "Coffman Starter" from
the
original Flight of the Phoenix movie, and from the book by Elleston
Trevor.
I had the spelling wrong. Not a "Kaufman" or "Kaupfmann" starter, but a
"Coffman Starter."

Boris

--

Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" sprintmail.com