Jerry J. Wass

Boris Beizer wrote:

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message
Boris Beizer wrote:

It is a compressed gas starter. A shell .. looks like a shotgun shell..

is
fired which provides the compressed gas that is used to turn the engine
over. It was, I believe, used as an emergency starting method for older
radial engines.

I don't think it was compressed gas. It was gun powder of some form.

The burning of the gunpowder in the shotgun shell provided the compressed
gas. Sorry not to have made it clear. That's what I meant.

Boris

Also used in some jets---A British jet that we adopted & changed the wingspan
several times--Reconniasance I think

--

Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" sprintmail.com