CJT

I can get a rectofier at radio shack for 5 bucks. I can build the
enclosure out of steel and weld it togther myself.

I need soemone to explain how the circuitry works for a newbie like me.
For instances, what does a transformer do? I mean why couldnt you just
wire directly into the rectofier?

Could I use a household dimmer switch to adjust the amperage?

Could I just use one of those jump start things with a battery inside
them and leave it plugged up? Then it would even work with the power
going out, right?

Go out and buy a ready-made power supply before you kill yourself.