James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
I can get a rectofier at radio shack for 5 bucks. I can build the
enclosure out of steel and weld it togther myself.

That's only the beginning...

I need soemone to explain how the circuitry works for a newbie like me.
For instances, what does a transformer do? I mean why couldnt you just
wire directly into the rectofier?

Don't even think about doing that, do you want a 12v DC power supply or a
170v DC power supply?

Could I use a household dimmer switch to adjust the amperage?

No, dimmer switches don't adjust amperage, and even if they did that's not
what you need to do.

Could I just use one of those jump start things with a battery inside
them and leave it plugged up? Then it would even work with the power
going out, right?

Perhaps, but I'm not sure how long the battery would last, they're really
designed for intermittent use.

You've got a lot of homework to do before you attempt to build a power
supply, all the information you seek is readily available online. Unless you
can find an old car battery charger to salvage one from, the transformer
will be the most expensive part by far. I would just use an old PC power
supply personally.