I was thinking the sander because of the risk of unfound metal in the
boards ruining planer blades. If I can only shave off 1/32 at the time
with the thickness sander, I should be able to catch any nails before
they damage the drum.

yeahbutt... you will have destoyed the knives in by then.

Please forgive a stupid question, but how does one damage the knives in a
_sander_?

hee hee...
]
but nails *will* destroy the paper on your thickness sander.

DAMHIKT.

Anyway, opinions are solicited. But I must decide before Monday, since
the 20% off sale ends monday and I've either got to get the planer or
the biscuit joiner then.

lunchbox planers are handy tools. sounds like a can't refuse price. I
say get it.

I have both a lunchbox planer and a thickness sander. they do
different things. really, you *need* both....