Mike Patterson

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 05:52:45 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:37:57 -0500, Mike Patterson
calmly ranted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that wind -was- a problem during my
experiments.

As for ignition, I was planning to fasten a peizo sparker to the end
of a rod. I wouldn't leave the flame on all the time, only during
parties and whenever I was going to be hanging out in the area, so
thrmocouples and auto-lighting and such wouldn't be an issue.

pics of experiments:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mikepatte...ges/pond/fire/

What's that I hear? "Hey, Y'all! WATCH THIS!"
http://www.mindspring.com/~mikepatte...e/DCP_0009.JPG
(4' flame, tanks 2' away in a wind, riiiiiiight.)

I sent in my $5, so * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

LOL!

Thanks for your concern, and the reasoned and constructive input!

I suppose that -if- there had been a massive gas leak that -happened-
to be pointed towards the flame, and -if- the wind happened to blow
the flame in -just- the right direction... oh, but that wind would
also blow the escaping gas away from the flame front. And there was no
leak. That was carefully checked before starting.

FWIW, the tank is a bit farther away than the perspective makes it
appear, and if the flame is 4' high then the tank is about 4' away and
vice versa, though I understand your desire for poetic license. It
just makes it sound a little better to exaggerate.

I don't see how this rig is substantially different from a gas grill
in which the burner is directly above the tank.

On my SunBeam 450 Grill Master grill there are 3 openings in the
bottom of the grill body beneath the burner, roughly 3"x5" in size,
that are 14 inches -directly above- the tank valve/regulator assembly.
I'm sure SunBeam would like your input... :-)

Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin