BigWallop

"BigWallop" wrote in message
k...

"Stephen Jones" wrote in message
om...
I have a gas fire in a fire place but need to know what would be the
best type of chimney pot to use to allow the fumes to be drawn up the
chimney (no liner). The house is a 1950s chalet bungalow and it it has
square chimney with a concrete slab on top with a approx 6" hole in
it,
also the bricks on two sides below the slab are removed. When we have
bad
storms water is coming down the chimney and I wondered if there is
anything
we can add to stop this. Would it be simpler to have a liner and pot
fitted and the holes in the chimney sealed, this is what next doors
appear to have done

Thanks
____________________
|___________________| Slab
|____| |_____|
|____| |_____|
|____|________|_____|
|__|____|____|______|
|____|_____|__|_____|

snipped

Major change to this paragraph. Should have read "Shouldn't see smoke
anywhere else in the house". Silly mistake, but may have been lethal.

A smoke test up the chimney would be my first advice on this. Seal all

the
holes up top, then place a PH smoke test pellet in the fire place opening.
If the chimney is working properly you shouldn't see smoke anywhere else

in the
house, that includes up in the attic / loft space.

snipped