Leon

"Lars Stole" wrote in message
news:2004122008592516807%larsstole@gsbuchicagoedu. ..
I'm looking to purchase a new router to accomplish 2 things --
occasional floating tenons (which I have never tried before) and
occasional dovetail cutting. I currently have a 2-1/4HP Makita router
dedicated in a router table, and I am tired of taking it out whenever I
need to use a hand held router. (Also, the plunge on the Makita is not so
great IMHO.)

I've never cut floating tenons beofre (only integral ones using my
mortiser anda chisel), but David Marks makes it look easy so I thought I'd
try it on my next project.

OK, unless I am missing something here, you are not cutting tenons with you
mortiser and chisel. You are cutting mortises. David Marks is planing
stock down to the thickness of the mortise and rips to about the width of
the "mortise" that he often cuts with a multirouter and uses a beading bit
on a router table to round the edges. The rounding of the edges on the
router table can be done with most any router. The mortises can also be
made with a hand held router and a jig. Again most any router can
accomplish this.
That said, if you intend to cut raised panels with your router, sort of a
floating tenon, you will need the larger router providing you are using a
horizontal raised panel bit.

I notice that every time I see a him
cut a floating tenon, however, he does it with one of his 3HP routers --
never with a 2-1/4 HP.

As I understand the tradeoffs, the 3HP weighs much more, but packs more
power and probably has a longer-lasting motor. The weight is a negative
for me unless you think it will be easier to avoid router tip when cutting
dovetails on a cheap dovetail jig.

For a dove tail jig I prefer to use my Bosch 1617evs. This is a medium duty
router and is easier to adjust and control on a DT jig.

The motor longevity is
not really an issue given I will only use the router a few dozen times a
year. So then the issue is power. If I get a 2-1/4HP router, will this
mean that instead of cutting 1/2" depth on each pass, for example, that I
cut a 3/8" depth? If so, that hardly seems worth the extra weight given
the number of cuts I will make per year.

I agree and yes, simply make shallower passes.

I'm leaning toward buying the Bosch 2-1/4HP router package (which includes
dust collection and other extras) at amazon.com before the sale ends
(possibly today).

That would be a good choice. 1617 EVS kit I assume.

The alternative is to buy either the
Dewalt or Hitachi 3HP, but I've done less research on 3HP plunge routers
so I am not as tied to these choices.

May I also recommend the Triton router if you are considering a larger
router. It is loaded with features. You can use it like a fixed base or a
plunge router with out changing bases. It is great under the router table
and has both coarse and fine height adjustments. Read that as not having to
spend $100's later on a router lift of some sort when you decide you want
better control over height adjustment when hanging in a router table.
Router bits can be changed above the table when mounted in a router table
with out the hassle of removing the router from the table. For hand use it
also comes with an edge guide and of course it has variable speed.