mac davis

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:56:38 GMT, "TBone"
wrote:

It simply will not work. They are two very different machines. A vacuum
puts it's strengths into a very high static pressure required to pull dirt
and such from the floor thru small hoses and because of the small hoses and
designed use, is not big on air volume. A dust collector OTOH, is trying to
catch large volumes of flying dust and chips in large hoses and keep them
suspended until it captures them and for this, it depends on massive amounts
of air flow and not so much on static pressure. The closest combination to
this would be a good shop vac but even there, they lean more to the vacuum
side than the dust collector side of the fence. If you hook up a DC to a 1
1/2 or 2 inch vacuum hose, you will see that you will get very little
suction compared to either a shop vac or a vacuum cleaner.

I had the opposite problem, T....
when I first got my DC, I put an adapter on it and attached a 2 1/2
vac hose and floor nozzle..
I had good collection power, but the suction seemed to be dropping
off... I looked toward the DC and saw that when I dropped the hose
from 4" to 2 1/2", the plastic garbage can part of my cyclone
collapsed like it was made out of paper.. lol