pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:36:35 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
On 19 Dec 2004 16:50:29 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Matthew Russotto wrote:
In article ,
Gunner wrote:

Thats a Heath/ Keith style Semiwad cutter, and is likely to have come
from a Henseley and Gibbs mould with a second choice being Ideal.

What is the diameter of the second band? If its .429-.433, its likely
for the 44 Special and if its .452-.455, its for the .45 ACP, both
rounds to be fired typically from a target revolver. Hollow base
bullets were very common in the 30s-70s for Bullseye shooters who were
shooting light to medium loads at paper targets.
The most common such today are 38 Special hollow base bullets, which
typically have a totally blunt nose with no ogive.

What's with the grooves? I haven't seen them in modern cartridges,
though Minies had them. Were these for black-powder revolvers?

They (in cast bullets) are to carry lube into the bore, so you
don't get as much lead fouling.

Not too common in jacketed revolver bullets (which is what I
usually shoot), though some rifle bullets have a groove for the case
mouth crimp, so the bullet is not either driven deeper or partially
pulled by recoil in the weapon -- or even worse, by the stack of bullets
in a tubular magazine. (There, you *really* want a blunt nose, so it
does not set of the primer of the next cartridge above it in the
magazine. :-)

Out of curiosity -- since this is so heavily cross-posted, why
don't we put an indicator as to which newsgroup we are posting from?
I'm posting from rec.crafts.metalworking, FWIW.

Enjoy,
DoN.

RCM as well

Agent has that option, Optionsposting preferencesIntroductions, and
put %newsgroups% in the appropriate line. As in "%from% wrote on %date% in
%newsgroup% :"
It helps me to keep track of where I was reading and responding to
what.

--
pyotr filipivich.