Gerald Ross

Arch wrote:
I hear or read something similar to the subject sentence all the time
and I wonder if it it says something about us. When I behold a gorgeous
sunset or a lovely woman my appreciation isn't enhanced by knowing how
they were made. A need to know about fusion of atomic nuclei or fusion
of sperm and egg adds nothing to my pleasure and probably detracts from
it.

People who have no idea of how turnings are made probably are able to
see them as pure objects of beauty better than turners can. No matter at
what level, all woodturners are craftsmen. Objects of art aren't
begotten, they must be made and we are properly concerned with "how did
you make it?". After all, rcw's middle name is 'crafts'. I just wonder
if the "Wow" has to do with a turner's appreciation of inherent beauty
or is it in awe of outstanding craft.

Some of you think that time spent wondering is time wasted, but I don't.
Anyway, when we see a wonderful turning, we want to know how it was
made. I just wonder if laymen are able to appreciate it better than we
turners can?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Have you noticed the difference gender makes in the first
question asked? Women often ask "What kind of wood is that?"
while men are more interested in the mechanics, "How did you
do that?".

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA