Ken Grunke

Bill Stock wrote:
This is somewhat OT, but you appear to be the biggest suppository of
knowledge when it comes to NiChrome.

I want to build a Hot Wire to bend some Acrylic. The wire in question is #22
and approximately 1 ohm per foot.

I did a lot of acrylic bending years ago making picture keyframes and
the like. I used a coiled nichrome wire inside a heatproof channel,
lined with asbestos paper (!) connected to full house current. It was
about 18" long, and the element, which was about an inch below the
channel's 1/2" opening, glowed a dark red. Turning a piece over once, it
took about 15 seconds to get the acrylic up to bending temp. and it
worked really well.

I would use a coiled element sized to give a much higher temp than 400
degrees at 115v, and with a lamp dimmer (no stepdown transformer). If
your element is only at 400 degrees, you could be waiting forever to
reach bending temp.

Ken Grunke
La Farge, WI US