John Miller

I am relatively new to ham radio. I am wanting to build a base station
in my bonus room and use some mobile radios up there.

snip

I like the idea of building one but not sure if it would cost more that
way or not. What would I need to build one besides a transformer and
rectifier?

Welcome to the ranks; an excellent reference is the ARRL handbook. Your
local library should have a copy or copies.

Quick answer to your question: in addition to transformer and rectifier,
you'll need a safe enclosure, overload protection, voltage regulation
and filtering.

These days, though, it will probably cost you more to build one, unless
you have a well-stocked junk box. Didn't used to be that way.
--
John Miller
email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm