Mike Harrison

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:07:00 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Is there anything a non-expert like me can do to repair this? Where
would I start? Seems to me that the whole power-supply board is an
integral item which would probably unplug for diy replacement (could I
get hold of one?), which might be more economical for me than taking the
monitor to a repair shop?

The likely reason is a dead electrolytic in the PS - the PS itself being
protected against overload and would simply shut down. Might be worth
simply replacing the lot, but make sure you get suitably rated ones.

Not if it's blowing fuses - failure to start is a very common fault caused by a dead small
electrolytic in the startup supply, but fuse-blowing is more likely to be the switching transistor
failing short or an output overload.
If you can unplug the output side of the PSU and see if it still blows the fuse when not loaded this
would confirm that it's a PSU fault.

If you have a small local friendly TV repair shop, they would probably be happy to look at a PSU
fault, as the PSU circuitry will be very similar to what's used in most TVs.
A computer repair shop will typically be too scared of anything at mains voltage and would probably
want to just replace the whole PSU board, which would usually not be economically viable.

If you replace it, remember that you can probably recover £20-30 of the cost selling the dead one on
ebay!