sg

Default Repairing Seagate Barracuda Hard Disk

Hi all,

I have damaged my hard disk while trying to connect a laptop hard disk
to the system. The machine was working perfectly, and I have reasons to
believe that what has occurred is a failure in the drive electronics. I
am posting my query to this newsgroup to see if anyone can suggest
possoble ways to check and repair the drive.

My system consists of an ASUS A7v m/b and the hardisk was connected to
the Promise PDC2025 UDMA controller via an 80 conductor cable.

What I was doing was to try and connect a laptop/notebook harddisk as a
slave device. Since, the laptop interface consists of 44 pins, we had a
small adapter that plugs in to the power supply and gives power to the
relevant pins. It seems that inadvertently, I powered one of the data
lines and the harddisk got damaged.

If I connect the hardisk to a normal IDE connector, my system hangs
while trying to detect the IDE devices. If I connect it to the UDMA 100
(Promise) controller, the controller BIOS does not load saying that "No
PDC2025 chip found". Also, I can't seem to feel the motors running.

Any ideas as to how I can troubleshoot/repair the disk. I have a guess
that some connections have blown up.
Many thanks for any ideas whatsover.

Thanks & regards,

Sachin