mac davis

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:34:01 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:56:16 GMT, "Ken Moon"
wrote:

This way you won't waste most of a set of HSS tools learning to sharpen.
Others disagree, but that's my opinion, FWIW.

I'm a relatively experienced woodworker and pretty good at sharpening
my hand tools. Sharpening lathe tools dosen't look all that different
from sharpening the bench, mortise, swan neck, and skew chisels that I
already own.

Am I missing something? If so, the HF idea makes a lot of sense.

Thanks!
Barry

my wife used to own a sharpening shop, sharpening saw blades, chain
saws, machete, axes, restaurant knives.. bout anything that needed
sharpening..
It took her 2 or 3 tries to sharpen my lathe chisels.. especially
since I've been butchering them for 20 years..
What worked best was to get the $9.00 set of HF chisels for her to
look at.. so she know what mine were supposed to be.. angles, edges,
etc..
I am NOT a good sharpener, so I'm going by what she said... that lathe
chisels were harder than saw blades or other tools... and the one that
she had the most trouble with, the skew, was the one that I thought
would be easiest..

BTW.. if you're going to HF, I recommend the 3 piece mini chisel set
for $10.. the bowl gouge didn't impress me, the small skew is deadly
sharp and still is after 2 days of my playing with it and the cheap,
tinny looking parting tool is really very handy.. and somehow stays
pretty sharp..