AJS

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

You got a really good one, then. (Though having a really nice
Albrecht keyless chuck can speed operations for you -- and no danger of
anyone forgetting a key in the chuck and turning it on. ;-)

Yea I have been looking Probably get it shipped from over there as it's
hard/expensive to buy allot of this type of gear here (Australia).
I spent some time looking at drill presses and every single shop only sold
Asian units. I am sure that I could have found someone who sold "better"
gear but it would have taken some time. *Sigh* You Americans have it so good
when it comes to all this gear.

What kind of runout do you find on a chucked drill blank? The
chuck itself can also contribute to that -- and that is often the worst
part of the setup.

Not too bad. I did a quick check and it was under 4 thou but I will have to
check it properly.

You can oil the remaining surfaces, once both tapers are seated.
But in the mated tapers, I don't think that you'll see any rust, unless
you do something like wiping down the taper with acid or iodine just
prior to seating it. :-)

Thanks. Out to the shed I go.

AJS