meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:15:27 GMT Bill
posted:

Is it in the process of being constructed or is it an existing structure?

Existing
The "vertical beams" of which you speak, are they what we call posts?

Yes they run from the cement pylon(?) at the ground to the roof of the
bottom of the second floor deck.

The roof of the bottom?

The seperation / leaning of the horizontal members; how large are the gaps?

At the top of the left side there is a 1/2 inch gap and none at the
bottom or on the other side.

How long have you owned the house?

Owned for 5 months.

Can't tell from here for sure but I seriously doubt if it is in danger of
immediate collapse. What's your winter usage & potential snow load?

Walked on briefly two or three times a day by the wife.
Potential snow load I'm not sure of, there is no access to sweep it
off, approximately 15 to 25 degree angle of porch roof.

If your wife walks on it, how is there no way to sweep it off? Is she
too lazy to use a broom.

I can't appreciate the details of this problem either. Willshak's
advice sounds good.

Don't forget the 4 guys killed in Chicago when their back porch
collapsed. Those things are built with 6x6's usually. Of course they
had about 25 or 30 people standing on it at the time, and the porches
are smaller than your deck. OTOH, maybe none of your problems are
serious. I can't tell from here.

got a handy neighbot or relative who can take a look at it?

cheers
Bob

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether