Martin H. Eastburn

Ace wrote:

Years ago before "ma bell" was forced to break up, I had the opportunity to
examine a print
for "tooling" required for one of their components. EACH & EVERY HOLE for
dowels, bolts, etc.
were completely toleranced as to size and location.

You have to remmeber, AT&T was famous for documenting every aspect of
the business so that two workers on opposite ends of the continent would
do things the same way, even if they were each doing it for the first
time and without supervison. I remember a 20 foot wall with 7 foot tall
bookcases filled with Bell Standard Practices. That was not all of them.

It was actually possible for a tech with general training to grab a book
and fix just about any of the hardware at the company (given enough time).

Daniel

I agree! - My dad was tasked to write one manual - a mere 250,000 page monster
that described to the device a Radar system that involved three parallel processing
computers, 2 floors of disk drives, one of tapes, and then the special and custom
hardware. It cost him 2 years of putting off his planned retirement.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer