DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Tom Quackenbush wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

I think that "Maxi" is a Thompson Center creation. I think the
correct spelling is "Minie", with an accent over the "e".

O.K. I knew that the accent was missing, but wasn't sure
whether it should be one or two 'n's.

I could post
it using extended ASCII, but I don't think that my 8-bit ASCII is the
same as everyone else's 8-bit ASCII.

As an aside, is there a UNIX/WENIX/Linux standard for 8-bit ASCII?

Sure -- how many do you want? :-)

The one which I have selected on my Solaris 8 machine is:

ISO8859-15

but the Solaris 2.6 machines don't go beyond:

ISO8859-1

and no -- I don't know what the actual difference is. :-)

There were about twenty to choose from when I installed the OS,
and this one is probably the best bet overall. Some of them don't
handle American English very well -- being optimized for other
languages. And some are totally confusing (the ones which implement the
Japanese Kanji for example. :-)

I haven't really explored which ones my OpenBSD systems offer --
both the ones on Intel CPUs and the ones on Sun SPARCs.

But, when you don't know what will be reading what you post,
plain 7-bit ASCII is the safest. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564