Joshua Putnam

In article ,
says...

"Joshua Putnam" wrote

The mullions on vinyl are in between the panes

That's one of the bigger drawbacks we found when considering replacing
our 100-year-old windows -- we definitely don't want windows that look
like someone put strips white electrical tape on them, which is what the
between-the-pane vinyl pseudo-mullions suggest. They're about as
attractive as wood-grained contact paper on a station wagon.

The mullions in the dual glazed are just like what are found in some
Andersen & Pella, unless the Andersen & Pella have the snap in grid (Yuk).
As you can see, the design is also done with wood windows.

Yes, we ruled them out on wood and fiberglass, too.

Most people find when purchasing a century home, they end up being a money
pit. The ordinary average Joe doesn't earn the income it takes to properly
restore a century home with properly designed windows/copper gutters/slate
roof etc etc. So they end up looking for alternatives which include doing
nothing at all. Or, having an old house slapped together. I think you're
finding this out already, by looking at vinyl windows for a century home.

We never wanted vinyl, but almost every window company we requested bids
from insisted that vinyl windows were just as good as wood these days, so
we let a couple of them bring samples. Even the most expensive vinyl
windows just looked cheap, and I'd hate to think what they'd look like 50
years from now.

(I really don't quite understand this -- isn't anyone in the window
business on commission? When a customer calls up asking about wood
windows on a hundred-year-old restoration, why on earth do they try to
sell vinyl instead?)

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/