Bill

Subject: Securing a 2nd floor deck
From: Bill

Date: 12/18/04 11:11 PM Pacific Standard Time
Hi all,

My second floor deck has taken a turn for the worse. Living in MA all
the contractors seem to be taking the winter off and I think I will be
needing to secure this deck myself. With that said here are the
particulars.

It is a second floor porch approximately 10' length x 5' depth. The
front of the structure is supported by 2 vertical beams measuring
approximately 4" x 4". The front top of these 2 beams are cut out to
insert the following horizontal. 3 boards (each about 1" x 12" x the
length of the porch)

Correction (3) 1.5" x 8" boards and they are fastend along their
length
nailed together and standing on the edge. These
3 are secured to the vertical beams by nails in the back of the
cutout.

The issues are 1)The horizontal boards are leaning forward in the
cutout at one end. 2) The vertical beams are beginning to crack.

Somehow I need to get additional support and / or repair this. Will
some one please rough out for me the steps I need to take so that I
can do this. Is there any equipment that I can rent to make this
easier? I know that I am over my head with this but really believe
that I will be looking at a collapse if I don't get it taken care of.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

How old is the deck structure?

It is over 8 years old.

Is it in the process of being constructed or is it an existing structure?

Existing
The "vertical beams" of which you speak, are they what we call posts?

Yes they run from the cement pylon(?) at the ground to the roof of the
bottom of the second floor deck.

The seperation / leaning of the horizontal members; how large are the gaps?

At the top of the left side there is a 1/2 inch gap and none at the
bottom or on the other side.

How long have you owned the house?

Owned for 5 months.

Can't tell from here for sure but I seriously doubt if it is in danger of
immediate collapse. What's your winter usage & potential snow load?

Walked on briefly two or three times a day by the wife.
Potential snow load I'm not sure of, there is no access to sweep it
off, approximately 15 to 25 degree angle of porch roof.

got a handy neighbot or relative who can take a look at it?

cheers
Bob