Grunff

gmz wrote:
I am planning a shelving project for a flat in Scotland. Her at home in the
USA our 3/4 inch thick boards come in 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10" widths, minus 1/2
inch for planed boards. I didn't think to look at B&Q last trip over to see
what widthsare common there. Can anyone tell me the common width closest to
8" sold in the United Kingdom?

Yup, same sizes, at least from a builders merchant. Most sheds will
carry 2", 4" and 6", not sure about 8" and 10". I haven't been too
impressed with softwood bought from sheds, and usually prefer a builders
merchant.

All sizes are planed to about 1/2" less than the quoted width, and end
up 18-20mm thick (~3/4").

--
Grunff