Don Foreman

And when the acid stops working, it'll still serve as an electrolyte
for deplating. Use a steel cathode. Galvanized workpiece +, steel
cathode -.

Other chemicals would probably work for deplating also. Try 'em and
see. Ammonium chloride aka sal ammoniac works if you can find it.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:11:15 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

Any acid will take it right off. For welding any tube or pipe frames, I
usually dip the ends in an inch or so of hydrocloric (Muriatic) acid,
followed by a dip in some alkaline like Tide soap in water. Do this
OUTDOORS!! the fumes are nasty for both you and your tools. The acid is
sold for adjusting swiming pool PH, usually sells for $2.50/gallon.

Roger Shoaf wrote:

From time to time I find it desirable to weld something that has been
galvanized. This has required grinding off the zinc.

If I was to get one of those do it yourself zinc plating kits, could I just
reverse polarity and de-zinc the iron?