Harry Hotspur

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:39:05 +1300, TEX wrote:

I have iMac that I have been trying to repair.

The orginal fault was that the unit would not power up. Put a fuse in
and it would pop. Checked and found that the transistor SSF9N80A was
shorted on all legs. Replaced it with a BUZ355 which is the closest I
could find without having to specially import the transistor.

Anyway when I powered it up next, I found that (what it looks like) the
posistor has blown and spat all over the case. I suspect it is a
posistor as it runs in series with the fuse and is close to the degauss
coil. It is actually soldered on a set of pins exactly like the ones you
would normally plug the degauss coil.

Anyway normally I understand you can just leave the posistor out, but
since this is running in series with the fuse, without it, the rest of
the unti will not power up.

Is there anyway I can bypass it (just link the gap?, or link with with a
fuse?) so I can be sure it was this that was causing the fault in the
first place?

The markings on the part:

15D15 with the letters T and P

Maybe it isn't even a posistor.....if not what is it?

Thanks

TEX

It's the Degauss posistor,always seem to pop,they are only pennies to
buy and any TV shop will have them or close enough to run as the
degauss specs are not critical,don't run without it,buy a couple.