MUADIBŪ

Does anyone have tips on balancing a one piece (non-sectional,
non-rollup) wooden garage door (2-car garage). I'm replacing all four
springs, and putting in a new Genie screw drive opener (last one lasted
26 yrs!) I've always been under the impression that if the door holds
stationary when the bottom of the door is about a foot or two off the
ground that the door is balanced...is this true?

Is there a problem that requires NEW springs?

If not, Leave them alone and just put up a new opener if it has gone
bad.
I cannot see the benefit of changing something that is not having
problems, unless you are going to change design type.
Going to a Sectional overhead door, is a great excuse to change, but
if there is no direct benefit from it other than ,
say,..........Cosmetics,..........Why bother?

I do believe a Sectional overhead to be a safer type of door than the
one piece version you have described. I have had both and Wouldn't
spend a dime for repair on a single piece unit. The weight of the
single piece will almost certainly kill almost any new model consumer
grade garage door opener in short order also. The one you had for 26
years was likely a much better quality unit than anything that can be
bought nowadays and was probably built with the single piece door in
mind, as more of them were used on residences at the time of
manufacture.

This opinion and suggestion is merely that. I do understand your
installation, but not the need to "fix" the unbroken.

Hope this helps at all.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIBŪ

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html