Dick

Your original message says nothing about the glue application method or
wood condition before the starved joints appeared. The bit from the
glue manufacturer says it all about pressure so I wonder about the
dryness of your wood. Gorilla glue needs to react with water. Most
times here our dry wood is wet enough at 12 or 14 percent but I
sometimes also wet one or both wood surfaces before applying gorilla
glue. It works well.

Art Ransom wrote:
How much clamping pressure is too much?
I have created starved joints ( not enough glue to hold properly)

with
Gorilla glue when clamping segmented rings but to my knowledge that

is the
only time I have made starved joints. The laminated beams I use in

some of
my project are clamped with 30,000 lbs pressure, though the

manufacture
doesn't say if that is PSI or total clamping pressure.
This has become a concern since I have been turning 8' columns. My

normal
procedure is to cut the stave 1/4" over size and let the stock set

for
several days for the internal stresses to stop warping the wood. I

then cut
and mill the staves to final size. Milling the bird mouth joint ,

final
sizing and normal wood movement will at times result in considerable

warping
in the 8' staves and when working with 8/4 stock a lot of clamping

pressure
is needed to get properly fitting joints.

www.turningaround.org