willshak

On 12/19/2004 11:12 AM US(ET), Eric Tonks took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

A number of doors come predrilled so that you have to install the latch on
the side they prepared.

Geez, you would think that the OP would have noticed those pre-drilled
holes.

"willshak" wrote in message

On 12/19/2004 10:37 AM US(ET), M.Burns took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

I picked up a hollow core interior door, and the instructions said you

could

only trim width and height by a 1/4" or so. No problem since it is the

size

I need. However, I don't see anything about placement of the door knob.

intend to locate it at 33-34" above floor level ...on one side or the

other.

Is there a top or bottom to the blank door? If the door is hollow core,

how

much room for error is there before I bore into an area that won't

support

the door knob, and is there anything that indicates which side of the

door

may be o.k. for a knob ...both?
Thanks.

There is an extra piece of material in the areas of the knob placement.
The extra material is long enough (a couple of feet) so that it doesn't
matter which end is up. The last remaining hollow care door I have only
has this extra material on one side of the door, but it was a prehung
door (factory hinged), and I don't know if a blank door has material on
both sides. If not, it should (but may not) have a marking on the edge
where the knob goes.
You can locate the extra piece(s) by either tapping on the door in that
area and listening to the sound, or using a stud finder.