Greg G

On 17 Dec 2004 05:27:09 -0800, "Squanklin"
wrote:

Yesterday I asked about jig saws - today I'd like some feedback about
routers, please. What to look for, etc. Considering this will be my
first router (and I'm not sure all the ways I'll use it), will I be
served ok with a moderately priced one for a couple of years until I
really know what I want? Then, I would go for the better, more
expensive models.

Thanks for your continued help!
Squanklin

I think you should wait.

If you're asking for beginner advice I'm guessing you don't need a
router yet, unless you're planning to jump right into building custom
furniture. You need a good drill, a circular saw and a bunch of hand
tools for home handyman work.

I've made it my policy to buy tools when I have a need for them. It's
much more likely you'll get the tool that has the features you need
when you have an actual project in mind.

If you find yourself getting excited in the local home center, rest
assured that there are plenty of other things to pick up first. I
guarantee you'll need a toilet auger, a set of work lights, safety
glasses, a speed square, a shop vac, a pry bar, saw horses, several
sets of drill bits and even some power tools (a sawzall, for instance)
before you need a router. Plus a hundred other items.

Good luck.

Greg Guarino