Bob G.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:08:05 -0600, "Matthew"
wrote:

My guess is that if the fence is correctly aligned, the back of the blade
tracks **exactly** the cut made by the front, so no material is removed, and
no dust generated. If the fence isn't aligned, the back of the blade
removes material, which gets kicked up into your face to remind you to align
the fence...

Still, any case-hardening or stress in the wood will cause the board itself
not to remain straight, making the discussion a moot point.

Matthew

=========================

Honestly you are correct,.....

I used to have my fence slightly off set away from the blade at the
rear and I did get a lot more saw dust on the top of the table...

Since I adjusted the fence to be almost dead on parallel to the blade
(Almost because I can not get it any closer) I get very very little
sawdust on top of the table ...

As far as internal stress in the wood goes..That can be a problem
without a doubt ...

I normally work with Walnut and do not run into this problem very much
BUT if I am ripping PINE I get frustrated and give thanks to the
"splitter" gods ...almost every single time...

I will admit that on my overhead guard I moved the DC port from the
rear of the guard to the front .. and that I run a 1 1/4 inch hose
from the blade guard to a shop vac and use my DC to handle inside the
cabinet...

Bob Griffiths